On 22nd of September, in the context of the 13th edition of the International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance (ICEGOV), ManyLaws organized an online interactive workshop to present and demonstrate the next generation legal informatics, information retrieval and search platform of ManyLaws.
The workshop was chaired by the project’s Technical Coordinator Dr. Sofia Tsekeridou (INTRASOFT International S.A.). Several project partners gave presentations and contributed to group discussions:
- Dr. Sofia Tsekeridou, INTRASOFT International S.A., Greece
- Dr. Shefali Virkar, Danube University Krems, Austria
- Professor Yannis Charalabidis, University of the Aegean, Greece
- Charalampos Alexopoulos, Senior Researcher, University of the Aegean, Greece
- Dr. Günther Schefbeck, Austrian Parliamentary Administration, Austria
- Nektarios Kyriakou, Hellenic Parliament, Greece
- Stefania Stavropoulou, INTRASOFT International S.A., Greece
- Ilias Romas, INTRASOFT International S.A., Greece
The ManyLaws platform is a sophisticated retrieval and search portal for legal data that will facilitate access to legal information for citizens and businesses alike, as well as improve the effectiveness of decision-making in legislative practices. The platform capitalizes on the integration of open legal data sources (Austrian, Greek, European laws), legal text mining and automated standards-based metadata extraction (structural and semantic). Automated translation, as well as interactive and intuitive visualizations of the retrieved data, will make the platform appealing and easy to use for a broad audience.
The ManyLaws workshop at ICEGOV presented Austrian and Greek legal demonstration scenarios live to the audience. The interaction among the participants was high, illustrating the great potential of such platforms.
The initial version of the ManyLaws service portal will go live at the end of September 2020.
In addition to the workshop, the ManyLaws consortium presented three papers, summarizing the results of its work towards defining a typology of users and services as well as designing an innovative legal information search engine and retrieval portal, using legal informatics, text mining, semantic analysis, HPC and interactive visualizations.
ManyLaws was also present at ICEGOV 2020 as Virtual Exhibitors.